Monday, August 14, 2017

The End

When Season 3 of the 60PLUS Racing Adventures ends with the last race at Sebring on August 30, the league as it has been, will end.

After the Road America event, a controversy arose as to the "spirit of competition" that was appropriate and desired. According to Strout, "The vast majority of our participants thought our event at Road America was a good one. I did not share that view. With deep regret, I concluded that the competition was not much different from a high SOF race in 'open' iRacing, with the only exception being drivers under the age of 60 had been excluded."

Donald Strout created the league in 2016 with the goal, "To create a kinder, if not gentler, place for guys over 60 years of age to race competitively."

A large number of participants objected to a proposed "tightening" of the passing rules proposed by Strout, who then concluded that his efforts, while having some positive effect, did not produce the results he had hoped for. 

League ownership was transferred by Strout to the Racing Steward, Joel Martin after the Road America event. Strout will no longer participate as a driver and will no longer design the setups.

Strout's Farewell Message to the League

My sincere best wishes for all. 

I think the League accomplished a part of my goal in that it clearly is a much more "friendly" League. The sense of fraternity is wonderful and admirable. 

My complete goal was for racing that went "above" the concept of "hard but clean" to a concept of competition that was not a "battle" but rather a recognition of the "mastery" of car control and speed--racing in a way that minimized, if not eliminated any action that would interfere with the other contestant's best performance. This is much more than just avoiding contact. This is keeping with the simple message I and Team RFC promote: Love God and Love Each Other. This message is focused not just on life on earth but in preparation for life in our ultimate and eternal destination. 

My exit was motivated by the simple fact my continued leadership and "sponsorship" would have been hypocritical, signaling my acceptance that racing as a "battle" was consistent with the message I promote. (Keep in mind that less than half of the 70+ League Members actually continued their regular participation---some who dropped out did so because the reality they observed was different from what they thought I was promising.) 

A "Friendly" League for Men/Women over 60 Years Old is a good thing. Stay consistent with the clear message and the League will be a fun and pleasant place for many. 

May God Bless you all. 

You will see me actively participating in Time Attack--most probably in the FR2.0. And, just as I am "in the world but not of it", you may also see me occasionally participating in "open" iRacing. 

Donald